Many people start their winter preparation now while outdoor temperatures are manageable and problems with interior temperature control are not emergencies. If your insulation has been lacking or you wish to add it to an attic or garage, you will need to find a reliable insulation contractor in West Lorne, ON. Here are tips for locating a contractor so you can get this work finished before the snow and cold temperatures hit:
- Start with referrals: Chances are you know someone who had insulation work done recently. Ask these individuals who they hired and what they thought of the work. You will get ideas of who to call for estimates but also who to avoid. Make inquiries of those you trust the most including friends, family and coworkers. You will likely get enough of a list to start making telephone calls and Internet inquiries.
- Employ the web search: Home Advisor and other consumer-oriented websites will contain recommendations for insulation contractors. You can use these searches to find contractors with good reviews who will also be good candidates to contact for estimates. Checking out local trade organizations is also helpful and can lead you to hire a good local business.
- Seek a thorough approach: Free estimates should still contain details. The contractor should understand which areas in your home will be insulated and if there are any specific needs. Even if all you can get is a telephone estimate, there should still be questions about square footage and any issues you noticed about temperature control. Be wary if there are few questions or if estimates are given without much inquiry. You risk rising costs as the project continues, but also low quality work in general.
- Call references: Once you have a complete list of contractors, request bids and references. The references should be other homeowners who also hired the contractor for insulation work. Ask about work quality, timeliness, customer service and anything else that might be important to you—especially if you are requesting specialized work. You may run across people who are never satisfied with anything, but you will also get a good idea of what to expect. If a contractor will not provide references, move on to another one. There is likely a good reason for that refusal and you do not want to learn it the hard way.
- Confirm licensing, certification and insurance: Never hire a contractor who is not adequately insured. Any contractor you hire must meet insurance and bond requirements as well as show skill in this field. If a contractor will not provide this information, do not hire them. Otherwise, you risk personal liability for any worker injuries on site, or worse, you will be the recipient of substandard work with no remedy. You do not want a contractor’s oversight in following procedure to lead to higher insurance premiums or exorbitant repair costs to you. Even if you feel certain about hiring a contractor, follow up on these details before making it official.
Chase Insulation is an insulation contractor in West Lorne, ON that offers spray foam insulation and other products. If you need insulation work done before winter, call us today for a free estimate.