Cold temperatures have not yet started, which makes now a good time to inspect your home insulation in West Lorne, ON. Taking the time to perform these checks can reduce drafts and your utility bills without taking too much time or spending a lot of money. Here is what to check regarding your home’s insulation before the temperatures drop:
- Doors: The seals of your doors wear out each time you open them or slam them shut. This can cause drafts and is often an easy fix. Purchase a weather proofing kit at a home improvement store and use it to create new seals to keep out the cold air. Door sweeps at the bottom of your exterior doors will also make a big difference that you will notice with cozier temperatures and lower power costs.
- Windows: Your windows can be an insulation nightmare and you need to inspect them thoroughly before winter begins. Start with the seals as you did with your doors. When you find them, caulk around the seals or use weather stripping. You will most likely find the leaks where window sections meet the frame and wall. Expanding foam also makes an improved seal around windows if you find them especially problematic. If you’ve ever noticed that sitting around your windows gives you a chill, take the time now to shore up any air leaks.
- Floors: If drafts have been a constant problem for years, the source may be in your floors. You can add rigid insulation in floors to reduce drafts and create warmer floors in the winter. It is installed where the joists meet and many people notice a big difference. On second or third story floors, blown insulation works better than rigid insulation. Hire a professional to install it and there will be no crack left unfilled.
- Walls: There can be many issues with walls. In rare cases, you may find rooms that were never insulated. This is possible if you have an older house that has not been updated. Another issue that arises with walls is old insulation. If you do not remember when you last checked the insulation and a particular room seems drafty, there is a strong likelihood that it is time to replace your insulation with something stronger.
- Garages and attics: Breaches in these areas can mean an assault of cold air all winter long. Many homeowners skip insulating the garage or attic, believing that, since these are mostly uninhabited, temperature control is not important. However, insulation can reduce noise and demands on your HVAC system. Checking ahead of time to see if your garage or attic is a trouble area for air leaks can mean paying less for heating this winter.
If you find you need to replace home insulation in West Lorne, ON, Chase Insulation is a reliable contractor. We specialize in spray insulation and can remove old insulation as well. Call us today to receive a free estimate and get started on winter preparation.