Insulation protects our homes and businesses from the elements and helps keep our air quality high. But unfortunately, there are a lot of common problems that can plague insulation, especially if it’s old or of poor quality. Here are some common problems we’ve found in home insulation in West Lorne, ON, as well as a guide for how best to deal with them. We hope our customers and friends find this information enlightening and useful.
- Hot or cold rooms: During a particularly hot or cold day, most people seek relief inside their homes. Unfortunately, those who have ineffective or nonexistent insulation don’t have that luxury. A common symptom that there’s something wrong with your house is that it doesn’t provide adequate defense against the outside temperature. If the problem is more noticeable in some rooms than others, that can serve as a guide to which rooms need better or more insulation.
- Mold and mildew: It’s every homeowner’s worst nightmare: the dreaded musty smell in the closet and wet spots creeping up the walls that can only mean you have mold, mildew or who knows what else growing inside your home. Mold can damage your house and cause a wide variety of health issues, and it’s also just plain unpleasant. Your home could be growing mold even before you see it, so be sure to have regular inspections. If there is mold, poor or lacking insulation could be the cause.
- Allergies: Allergies are sometimes connected to mold, but also relate to a more general insulation problem of failing to keep the outside air out of your home. Even if you have a properly working air filter in your home, poor insulation lets in air with a lot of foreign particles, which can make things difficult for your air filter. Insulation itself can also cause allergies if dust and mildew have built up inside it. Think of it this way: if you’re living with bad allergies, having poor, dirty or insufficient insulation can be just as bad as leaving your bedroom window wide open.
- High energy bills: This one goes hand in hand with having very cold or hot rooms, but it’s worth noting on its own: the faultier or more lacking your home’s insulation is, the higher your energy bills are going to be. Your heater will have to work harder in the winter, your air conditioner will have to work harder in the summer and your air filter and ventilation system will have to work harder all year round. You’re also more likely to have to worry about the added costs of mold removal, allergy medication and even asthma treatment.
- How to fix these problems: The overarching fix to all these common insulation problems is simple: have ample, high quality insulation installed in your home. A lot of research in recent years has led to advances in insulation quality, so unless your home is brand new, there’s a good chance you may need an update, even if you aren’t experiencing these problems yet. Think of it as paying a small price now to prevent a lot of issues in the future. Call Chase Insulation to learn more about your options for home insulation in West Lorne, ON.