Because most homeowners likely spend very little time in their attic, it’s generally a part of the house that tends to be forgotten about—out of sight, out of mind. In fact, the only time many homeowners bother to think about their attic is when they need to get something down of it, haul something up to it or when an obvious problem has made itself known. Unfortunately, by the time an attic-related problem has become apparent, it often means it’s pretty serious. For example, if you’ve noticed a leak in your ceiling, the likelihood of there being damage in your attic is probably pretty high.
Some of the most common problems homeowners have with their attics involve a very critical feature: the insulation. Attic insulation plays a key role in regulating the temperature of your home by keeping heat out during the summer and keeping it in during the winter. Unfortunately, there are a number of issues that can affect your attic insulation. Any time you need attic insulation services in West Lorne, ON, you should seek the assistance of an experienced insulation contractor right away.
Here are some of the situations that merit a phone call to Chase Insulation:
- All-around shoddy workmanship. Many insulation problems can be traced back to poor standards of workmanship when the home was constructed. Blown insulation, in particular, has often been installed inconsistently and hurriedly, creating numerous breaches in insulation as well as widely varying consistency in terms of insulation throughout your home.
- Lack of insulation above a whole room. Depending on the layout of a home, it can sometimes be easy to misinterpret what area of the house is directly beneath a particular area in the attic. Sometimes, believing they’re above an attached garage, for instance, contractors will fail to properly insulate a room that’s actually adjacent to the garage, and which the homeowners would probably prefer to be insulated.
- Un-insulated areas beneath attic walkways. Because attics are awkward and uncomfortable, as well as dangerous, many homeowners have constructed walkways to help navigate their attics more safely and easily. Unfortunately, the spaces beneath these walkways are just the sort of thing a less dependable contractor will fail to insulate.
- Insulation damage due to work by other contractors. Insulation installation itself isn’t always the problem. Sometimes, when other contractors—such as HVAC technicians, electricians, security personnel and carpenters—have to work in attics, they’ll move insulation around to better access whatever they need to access, and then fail to properly replace it.
- Animal or weather related damage. Sometimes, the damage to insulation isn’t even caused by humans. Breaches in rooftops caused by falling trees or limbs, as well as general wear and tear, can lead to leaky roofs, which means insulation that’s absorbing precipitation, harboring mold and failing to do its job. Animal infestations can also be nightmares, as raccoons, squirrels, rodents and birds all have a tendency to use insulation as a bathroom. This is bad for your insulation as well as for your health.
A problem with your attic insulation is nothing to put off repairing. Call Chase Insulation next time you need insulation services in West Lorne, ON. We’ll make sure your attic is properly insulated and handle any necessary repairs.